Being the Flashlight: Changing Roles for our VUCA World
Volatile; Uncertain; Complex; Ambiguous — Words often used to describe our world. V.U.C.A. was coined in 1987 to describe the environment leaders were working in then. Well… we are (still) in a period of continuous change. Employee engagement is at one of its lowest points. Companies are experiencing the great resignation or reshuffle. Generational changes in our workforces. And then, there is Covid …
In all of this, what is the role of HR? What is the role of leaders and individual employees? How do we think about leadership; about teams? Let’s explore some ideas how we can help our employees engage and thrive for their benefit, the benefit of our companies or organizations and our stakeholders.
Leading For Agility and Performance
Our organizations are challenged. We need to meet/exceed expectations of all our stakeholders — customers, employees, suppliers, communities, governments, our world. Most of us have demonstrated an ability to work flexibly and adapt over the last couple of years. Going back to the less-flexible way we structured work and our lives seems impossible. So… what do we do? What is the role of leaders, what is the role of the HR professional in this context — how do we provide strategic value and help our companies, employees and society navigate?
If you’re willing, I propose we have some fun while we will look at emotional intelligence and experiment with mental resilience to increase our ability to manage our response to ever-present challenges and grow our ability to lead with a coaching mindset. We’ll explore a model for performance teaming and a roadmap for your organization (or at least for you).
Purpose: Hurling meteors of positive impact to help people transform their worlds
• Steven is a retired executive from The Walt Disney Company where he most recently was Senior Vice President of Marketing Operations leading Operations, Production and Post-Production teams. Throughout his career, he has led and significantly contributed to global business reengineering and transformation projects in the areas of Marketing, HR, IT, Finance, and Operations.
• Before joining The Walt Disney Company, Steven held positions in the healthcare, automotive, consulting and education industries and ran a small graphic design/publishing business and photography studio.
• As a certified professional coach, Steven helps individuals, teams and organizations achieve their full potential through Coaching, Mentoring, Training and Consulting using a systemic approach to transformation, encompassing the whole person, their stakeholders and environment. He works with clients to understand and leverage their strengths and create alignment with their purpose and values to empower the transformation they want.
• Foundational to his professional accomplishments, he shares his life with Isabelle, his wife, and two grown children, Victor and Amelie. An avid amateur chef, collector/consumer of wine, photographer and adventure motorcyclist, Bushong shares his love of adventure and exploration with them.
• Born in Detroit, Bushong holds a B.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering from The University of Michigan-Dearborn and an MBA from Babson College. He is a founding member of Global Team Coaches and a certified coach with Coactive, the International Coach Federation, the European Mentoring and Coaching Council and Gallup. He is a Board Member The Alliance Francaise of Los Angeles, as well as an advisor and mentor to industry groups and young executives.